Blueberry-Cream Cheese Coffee Cake


I love coffee cakes and making them. One of my favorites is blueberry-cream cheese coffee cake with streusel topping. I must say I always get compliments when I serve this one. I normally use regular flour, butter and sugar for the topping but I've discovered some add-ons that make the cake even better. Quick oats and Florida crystals are now in the mix and it does make a lot of difference. Sometimes I'd even toss some toasted walnuts for added crunch. I made a huge one last night which I brought to work today. Unfortunately, I was so busy and couldn't find time to take some shots for posting. As if it's the first time I made this cake :-) Anyway, I took a single shot albeit not a pretty one. Here's how to make it.

Blueberry-Cream Cheese Coffee Cake with Streusel Topping

Ingredients:
1 stick of unsalted butter, softened
1¼ cup sugar
2 extra large eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
¾ cup milk + ¼ cup water
2 cups fresh blueberries (drain well if using frozen- if possible leave in a colander or strainer overnight)
1-(8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, cubed

Streusel Topping:
¼ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup flour
¼ cup quick oats
¼ cup brown or Florida crystals sugar
½ stick butter

Combine granulated sugar, quick oats and flour, cut in butter with fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.

Cake:
Sprinkle 2 tbsp flour on blueberries and gently toss together, set aside (sprinkling flour over the berries prevents sinking to the bottom of the pan)
Preheat oven at 375 degrees F.
Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
Add flour mixture in three additions alternating with milk; mix well after each addition.
Gently fold blueberries and cubed cream cheese into the batter
Spoon into greased and floured 13"x9" pan or Pyrex dish.
Sprinkle streusel topping evenly on top. Finish off with a shower of Florida crystals
Bake in preheated oven for 45-55 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Edit: Yay, I was able to take a picture of the last slice to share with you!

Comments

Popular Posts