Pancake Series: #3 Blueberry-Ricotta Pancakes



These pancakes are inspired by the famous Blueberry Pancakes of BLD which was also featured in one of the episodes of “The Best Thing I Ever Ate” of Food Network. When I started this pancake series, I said I am not veering away too much from my trusted pancake recipe and I was truthful to the end. The only difference in this recipe is the addition of ricotta cheese, blueberries and the method of preparation which I adapted from Chef Dianna Stavaridis'of BLD . I have always been proud of my pancake recipe because of its cake-like and soft texture but this one is even better. Whipping the egg whites till stiff before folding it to the pancake batter really makes a lot of difference. I got the fluffiest, lightest, airiest texture and the addition of ricotta cheese gave the pancakes a different flavor; taking it to a different level and the tart blueberries blended well with the creaminess of the batter. This will be my favorite blueberry pancake recipe from now on! I'm sure my friends will love this variety from my pancake series.

Blueberry-Ricotta Pancakes

Ingredients
1 1/12 cups all-purpose flour
4 tbsp sugar
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
4 jumbo eggs, separated
1 1/4 cups milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
fresh blueberries
3/4 cup ricotta cheese

Directions:

In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and ricotta cheese until there are no cheese bits remaining, but making sure the batter does not become over liquefied.
Add the sugar, salt, vanilla, and milk.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder.
Add to the egg mixture and stir until no lumps remain.
Separately, whip the egg whites for about 4 minutes or until stiff.
Fold the whites into the batter and stir gently until uniformly combined. Let stand for 5 minutes.
Preheat the griddle to medium heat. Using the half cup measuring cup, pour batter onto the lightly-greased griddle.
Add blueberries to each pancake and cook for roughly 2 minutes on each side, or until the pancakes are golden-brown and cooked through.
Re-grease the pan or griddle with canola oil before cooking each pancake.
Stack on a serving plate, garnish with blueberries and serve with butter and maple syrup. 

Comments

  1. This recipe did not work for me at all. The batter was so thin that the blueberries had nothing to cling to and the amount of sugar in the batter caused the pancakes to burn over medium heat. I ended up cooking the remaining batter slowly over low heat and made blueberry syrup on the side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's unfortunate that the recipe didn't work for you but I never had a thin batter using the recipe. In fact, it's so thick before even folding the egg whites. You can see in the pictures how puffed the pancakes are and that doesn't happen with thin batter- the pancakes would have been flat. Other people have tried this recipe with success and all I can say is maybe check your measurements of the ingredients. Also, the four tablespoons of sugar does not make the batter sweet because of the amount of the flour, eggs, ricotta cheese and milk put together. I made the same pancakes over the weekend and will post it with clearer, better pictures :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts