Weekend cooking plans down the drain


So much about grand cooking and trying new recipe plans for the weekend as it didn’t materialize for the nth time. Instead, we had dinner at a Japanese restaurant last Friday and Saturday morning was spent grocery shopping in a Korean market. Anyway, it’s always a fun experience shopping at Zion and it must have been my lucky day because I didn’t have a hard time looking for a spot to park. There was a crowd of people by the door and for a while I thought the hodduk man moved there but it was a young dude making peanut butter squid which I haven’t seen (or noticed?) in my previous trips to the market. They must be good judging from the throng of people waiting to be served.

I got the chance to look for milk that is not Rockview or Altadena- something Korean but all they have is soy milk. I guess I just have to agonize and dream about the delicious milk Michelle talked about in her blog- for now. It’s easy to be diverted with all the beautiful sights and wonderful aromas of food in the market and the fruits and vegetables are always fresh. It’s even easier to get carried away so I have to “stay calm” and just grab what I need for sure or find myself wasting food again because they expired in the fridge unattended.

I ventured in the cooked food section and could not resist getting a tray of purple rice and imitation crab cakes. Everything looked delicious but again, extreme restraint was in effect so I only bought the two delicacies and a couple of hodduks. I got my free fish waffles again from the hodduk man and I kind of regretted not getting them instead of the hodduk. Those fish waffles with sweet bean paste inside are really good.
Lunch was at the restaurant just beside the market. I need my Korean food fix after reading Michelle’s blog and looking at her pictures. This is not the usual all-you-can-eat joint that we love going to so meat was not in abundance lol.. But I enjoyed the spicy rice cake because of the smooth texture of the rice cakes. The sundubu on the other hand pales in comparison with home cooked one … ahem …. my own sundubu. I also love the purple rice with beef which is my favorite now. I can’t remember the name of the dish though. It is purple rice in an earthen pot topped with beef and a bed of lettuce spread on top. I guess I shouldn’t be planning my menus anymore. I’m just going to go with the flow and whatever appears here in my blog- you can bet that those are spur-of-the-moment creations.

Comments

  1. What a great post! What a grand weekend of good food.

    Is there any chance you can make your photos large so that we don't have to click on the photos? I don't know anything about html progamming, but I notice there is a lot of space on the site on the sides so there is space to make the photos big on the main page...maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for the inconvenience. I'm actually working on it right now. And thanks for the compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No inconvenience at all, Faye. Take your time working on your blog. I love this place!

    Also, you seem like such a sweet-sweet person. I love your posts on Soompi, and here you are so generous with your time. I can see that the photos are already larger.

    I love your blog! I wish I lived next door to you so I could nom all your fud!

    One more request: Maybe allow Anonymous option to post? Most people maybe don't want to post with a set google handle? Just a thought. Not trying to be a pain about all this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks again for kind words. This is something I love to do so I should also please the readers, right? I already changed my setting to allow Anonymous option for comments.

    Oh yeah, how cool if you live just next door so you can sample my creations lol...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts