And finally.... Banoffee!

I'm so glad I'm done with my final dulce de leche inspired dessert. And it was the easiest to make too. I had to make two more cans of dulce de leche as my stash was depleted yesterday when I made my brownies and cheesecake squares. This time I cooked it in the oven in a bain marie for two hours. This dessert may seem too sweet if you think about the dulce de leche spread on the graham crust but it's not. That is the reason why I use honey Grahams for the crust and just omit the sugar. The whipped topping is also from scratch and I used very little confectioner's sugar. It also helped that I squeezed a lemon on my bananas to keep them from darkening and somehow the subtle acidity blended well with the caramel and the bananas.

Here's how to make it:

Banoffee

For the crust
1 1/2 cups honey Graham crumbs (pulsed in a blender or food processor)
1 stick unsalted butter, melted

Pour the melted butter on the Graham crumbs and mix well using a fork
Press in a spring form pan lined with parchment paper greased with baking spray
Bake at 375 degrees F for ten minutes
Allow to cool completely while preparing the toppings

Slice 3 to 4 ripe bananas and squeeze lemon juice to keep from darkening, set aside
I'm assuming you have your dulce de leche ready, could be made from scratch or store-bought (La Lechera brand can be found in Latino stores or the Latin section at grocery stores)

When the crust has cooled completely, spread dulce de leche on top evenly. I used a spatula and a spoon to avoid the crust from sticking.
Arrange banana slices on top making sure there are no gaps
Spread the rest of your dulce de leche on top
Arrange the rest of the bananas
Finish with the whipped cream topping
Chill for an hour or two before slicing
You may sprinkle the pie with grated dark chocolate if you want

Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Looks delicious!! How was the whipping topping made from scratch?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It is simply whipping heavy cream and confectioner's sugar with an electric mixer on high.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts