Arroz con Pollo


This is the Philippine version of Chinese congee. Rice cooked in chicken broth with chicken meat and served with spring onion, fried garlic and a squirt of lemon juice. It is served any time of the day or night and especially when it's cold but I love it best when I’m under the weather and my appetite is non-existent. There’s something so therapeutic and comforting about this delicious porridge that when it is served to me when I’m not in my best element, I feel warm and cared for. I learned how to make it now so I know exactly what to serve my loved ones when they're not feeling well or when it's cold and in need of something to warm and fill them up.

Arroz con Pollo

Ingredients:

1 large bone in chicken breast
2 tbsp ginger root, sliced thinly
4 cups medium grain rice (Cal-Rose)
1 white onion minced
saffron threads
3 cloves garlic, crushed
fish sauce to taste
1 tsp ground pepper
Knorr chicken cubes, 2 pcs.
Spring onion
hard boiled eggs, shelled
boiling water on stand by

Procedure:

Cut the chicken in smaller pieces and boil in 2 quarts water seasoned with salt and pepper.
Scoop the meat out after 15 minutes; allow cooling then break the meat apart using two forks. Set aside.
Heat two rounds of vegetable oil in a soup pot over medium heat.
Sautee onion and ginger root until translucent
Add garlic and cook until fragrant
Add the rice, chicken cubes, saffron threads, fish sauce and ground pepper
Add 2 cups of chicken stock and simmer for five minutes
Pour the rest of the chicken stock and stir.
Crank up the heat to let the soup boil quickly
Turn the heat to medium when it rolls into a boil
Continue stirring. This process makes the dish tastier instead of just allowing it to simmer by itself
The rice will absorb a lot of the stock so you will need to add some more boiling water when you feel it is getting too thick and needs more cooking time. Adding boiling water instead of tap water at room temperature makes a lot of difference.
Do not overcook the rice.
Taste if you need more seasoning
Add the hard boiled eggs and chicken meat and simmer for five minutes
Turn off the heat and remove the pot from the stove top (it will continue to cook and your arroz con pollo will be too thick)
Serve with chopped spring onion, toasted garlic (optional) and lemon wedges
I love mine with a squirt of sriracha sauce


Comments

  1. I tried making this last week, and it was SOOO delicious!! I'm simmering the soup right now~

    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very welcome! And it's nice to know you liked my recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts