Happy to be back!

It seems like a lifetime since I last posted. Work took most of my energy during the day and at night even as I still manage to cook something, blogging is impossible. But I did miss it and hopefully I can make up for my absence this weekend. Wow, I looked at my last post and I can’t believe I didn’t blog for a week. So happy to be here again and these are the stuff I made while I was "blog incapable".

Turkey Pasta Soup




Ha ha ha, just being truthful here coz I ran out of macaroni so I used spaghetti pasta and left over turkey bones for the broth and scraps of turkey meat. That's about what's left from our Thanksgiving dinner. Everything's wiped out and it gives me a feeling of fulfillment. It means they liked everything I cooked.

Nilla Banana Trifle



It was a sudden urge- I wish Claudia would make it first since I already gave her my recipe but I guess she’s busy and just couldn't find the time to do so. I thought I'd just make it for her. That’s the next thing that came to mind when I kind of glanced at our fruit tray and saw we have some bananas and my box of Nilla wafers on top of our fridge. And come to think of it, I rarely use my trifle dish and it felt ignored and neglected ha ha.

NILLA BANANA TRIFLE

Ingredients:
1 pkg cream cheese
1 can sweetened condensed milk
vanilla pudding (recipe follows)
1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
4 bananas, sliced
1/2 (12 ounce) package Nilla wafers

Easy Vanilla Pudding

Ingredients:
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tbsp cornstarch
a pinch of salt
2 1/4 cups whole milk
3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
3 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
2 tsp pure vanilla extract

Instructions:
Combine the sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium saucepan and whisk until incorporated. While constantly whisking, slowly drizzle in 1/4 cup of the milk until smooth. Whisk in the egg yolks and remaining milk.
Place the saucepan over medium heat and cook, whisking often, until the pudding begins to thicken and just starts to bubble, about 6 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium low and switch to a rubber spatula. Stir constantly, scraping the bottom and sides of the pan, until the pudding makes visible ribbons when drizzled over the surface, about 5 minutes.

To make and assemble the trifle:
1. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Fold in vanilla pudding then 1/2 of the whipped topping.
2. Line the bottom of your trifle dish with Nilla wafers. Arrange sliced bananas evenly over wafers. Spread with pudding mixture. Top with remaining whipped topping. Chill. You can crumble a couple of wafers and sprinkle on top as garnish.



Such a noble intention but I didn't get to share it with her because we have guests again and it's not something that can be overlooked once you open the fridge. Anyway, she didn't know I had such thoughts so it won't hurt ha ha ha ha.


Chunky Corn Chowder




This hearty and chunky soup is so delicious and perfect this time of the year. Served with your favorite meat dish or by itself. Here's how to make it :-)

Chunky Corn Chowder

Ingredients:
2 cups cubed potatoes
1 can whole corn kernels
1 can cream style corn
4 strips of bacon, crisped and drained of fat
2 cups chicken stock
2 stalks celery, sliced
1 cup carrot cubes
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cups half and half
4 tbsp unsalted butter
4 tbsp all purpose flour

Directions:
Melt butter in a deep sauce pan. Add onion and sauté till translucent. Sprinkle flour and whisk till it turns pale brown. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Add potatoes and corn and bring to a simmer. Season with ground pepper and add carrots when potatoes are tender. Add half and half and stir constantly. Add the celery when the soup thickens and the bacon last. Taste if you need more salt. I normally don't use salt anymore because of the bacon and the corn but you can just do your own adjustment


Breaded Pork Chop & Cole Slaw



This is the main course after having a bowl of corn chowder. Pork chop seasoned with salt, pepper and paprika, rolled in flour then dipped in beaten egg, rolled in panko bread crumbs then browned on both sides in vegetable oil and finished off in the oven at 350 degrees F for six minutes. You can serve it with tonkatsu sauce but I love it with my home made cole slaw.

See, I still squeezed these in between my toxic life as someone from the working class but for us foodies, it is never a burden but a blessing. Oh the joy of cooking!

Comments

Popular Posts