Banana-Peanut Butter Cake



The intention is mainly to save the bananas from going to waste because they are super ripe. I love bananas but I'm quite picky with them and will not eat any once I see the brown spots on the skin. They are good for cakes though, I have to admit. And after going through "spread mode" using peanut butter and Nutella, I thought the journey will not be complete without incorporating good old creamy peanut butter into my banana cake. So I decided to make banana cake today- sort of killing two birds with one stone.

I have maybe three proven and tested banana cake recipes so I decide to use one and instead of finishing it off with the usual cream cheese frosting and a sprinkle of nuts, I decided to spread the peanut butter mixed with ricotta cheese and a little confectioner's sugar in between layers of the cake batter. It took a little bit longer to bake because of the low and slow baking temp and due to the fact it is kind of thick having used three cups of all-purpose flour. I would always transfer my banana cake straight to the freezer from the oven because it makes the cake really moist. And it was with almost pudding-like texture. I love the peanut butter taste which is not over-powering; the banana taste still there so that I got the best of both flavors in one delicious cake.

Banana-Peanut Butter Cake

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups bananas, mashed, ripe
2 teaspoons lemon juice
3 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 extra large eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups buttermilk

For the peanut butter-ricotta cheese filling
1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 cup confectioner's sugar
Mix all three ingredients until creamy and fluffy using an electric mixer, set aside

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 275°.
2. Grease and flour a 9 x 13 pan.
3. In a small bowl, mix mashed banana with the lemon juice; set aside.
4. In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
5. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
6. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then stir in vanilla.
7. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk.
8. Stir in banana mixture.
9. Pour half of the batter into prepared pan
10.Spread the peanut butter-ricotta cheese mixture on top
11.Top with the remaining cake butter and bake in preheated oven for one hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
12.Remove from oven and place directly into the freezer for 45 minutes. This will make the cake very moist.
Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts