Watermelon and tomato: A Dinner Story

Or "Watermelon and Tomato Night" is a more apt title for my post

I have half a watermelon in the fridge all chilled in all its vivid red glory. But guess what, it’s not as sweet as it looks. I want to put this partly-sweet; partly bland watermelon to use and be done with it. Better luck next time when it comes to picking the right one. Surely something can be done to make this more enjoyable and then I remember one of my friends who love to eat watermelon with sugar cane vinegar. She told me that the vinegar brings out the sweetness of the watermelon and I didn't believe her- till I tasted it. In retrospect, that must have been the prologue to my watermelon salad consciousness.

So as a salad is how the watermelon will bow out tonight. I mentally debated on what to use between balsamic and red wine vinegar and opted for the last because I want to keep the fruit’s beautiful color although I didn’t have any and had to go to TJ’s to get a bottle plus some cheese to give it a nice finish.

Going to the store to get something always end up in extra or surprise expense because 99.9% of the time I will find more stuff to buy as in this case. I saw mini heirloom tomatoes so pretty and right away, I felt my food sensors acting up. There’s something about heirloom tomatoes that I love more than the Romas and cherries and beef steaks; more so when they’re small and the flavors are concentrated in these little balls. They’re bursting with sweetness and freshness and all the wonderful flavors. Toss them with good evoo, sea salt, fresh cracked pepper and basil and you have an unbelievable package - the taste is just over the top. Since I already have a salad, I thought of making caprese toasts to pair with it.


Watermelon Salad

Ingredients:
2 -3 cups watermelon cubes
1 medium white onion sliced thinly
1 tsp sea salt
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup evoo (extra virgin olive oil)
1 tsp cracked black pepper
a pinch of sugar
mint leaves

Whisk together red wine vinegar, olive oil, sea salt, sugar and cracked black pepper. Drizzle over watermelon and onion and gently toss together with crumbled feta cheese
Garnish with mint leaves and serve well chilled.

Notes: Chill the watermelon and red wine vinaigrette dressing
before tossing them together.

Caprese Toasts

Ingredients:
2 slices of French bread drizzled with evoo on both sides and pan grilled
10-12 pieces heirloom tomatoes, halved
2 tablepoons evoo
sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste
chopped fresh basil

Toss the heirlooms, evoo, salt and cracked black pepper in a microwavable bowl and nuke for 30-45 seconds, just to warm it a little
Arrange heirlooms on top of each toast, just enough to cover the bread
Top with slices of fresh mozzarella cheese
Enjoy

So this is how my dinner story unfolded. Watermelon salad with crumbled feta cheese paired with caprese toasts. Simple and easy but it left a fresh, clean and heavenly taste in my mouth. I will definitely make this dinner again and again. This certainly deserves an encore!

Comments

Popular Posts