Blueberry Crumb Coffee Cake


This is another version of my blueberry coffee cake. This time the cream cheese is softened and creamed with the butter. Still same result. My GP's love it. I love it- hence my confidence in serving it. It is a crowd pleaser and the recipe I am so glad to share with you out there who love coffee cakes and blueberries.

Crumb Topping:
1/3 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup or half a stick unsalted butter

Mix flour, sugar and cinnamon. With a pastry blender cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.

Cake ingredients:
2 cups fresh blueberries (I used frozen which I drained overnight)
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 tsp ouble-acting baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup or half a stick unsalted butter
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 extra large egg
1/3 cup whole milk
1 8 oz pkg of cream cheese, softened
zest of a lemon
1/2 cup toasted walnuts, roughly chopped

Method:
Adjust rack to the center of the oven.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Generously butter a 9-inch square or 9-inch round cake pan, set aside.
Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Place the drained blueberries in a large bowl. Sprinkle with about 1 1/2 tablespoons of the sifted dry ingredients and gently toss together. Set aside both the floured berries and remaining sifted dry ingredients

Cake:
Cream the butter and cream cheese together.
Add in vanilla and sugar and beat for a minute.
Add the egg and continue beating for another minute
Alternately add remaining sifted dry ingredients in three additions and milk in two additions, scraping the bowl with a rubber spatula
Make sure to beat until smooth with each addition.
Stir in lemon zest.
Spoon the batter over the floured blueberries.
With a rubber spatula, gently fold together until just mixed.
Spoon batter into the prepared pan and spread smoothly.
Sprinkle walnuts over top, and then top with sprinkle reserved topping over the nuts.
Bake 45-50 minutes or until the top skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Serve warm or cold with coffee or tea

I left my battery charger at work yesterday so I had to use my phone to take most of the pictures. Oh what will I do without my Blackberry?

Comments

Popular Posts