Lobster Mac and Cheese


I saw it in one of Bobby Flay's Throwdown episodes. I kinda forgot the place or the restaurant that makes it.  All I know is they use Maine lobster meat, mascarpone and sharp cheddar cheese with the other ingredients milk, salt and pepper, unsalted butter and flour. I can do all of the above but the Maine lobster. So I opted for the cute langostinos in the freezer section of Trader Joe's. I know that nothing can compare with the real fresh lobster meat (ahh memories of Sta. Barbara) but this will do for now. I topped the casserole with Panko bread crumbs which I drizzled with melted unsalted butter. The crunchy topping gives a beautiful contrast to the creamy and cheesy macaroni- not salty with a hint of nutmeg and just delicious. I adapted the recipe here and here's how I made it.

Ingredients:

Kosher salt
vegetable oil
1 pound elbow macaroni
1 quart milk
1 stick unsalted butter, divided
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup grated Gruyere cheese
1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
2 cups grated sharp Cheddar
1 cup Mascarpone cheese
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 pound cooked langostino meat
1 cup Panko bread crumbs

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain well and set aside
Meanwhile, heat the milk in a small saucepan, but don't boil it.
In a large pot, melt 6 tablespoons of butter and add the flour.
Cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring with a whisk. Still whisking, add the hot milk and cook for a minute or two more, until thickened and smooth.
Off the heat, add the Gruyere, Cheddar, Mascarpone and mozzarella, 1 tablespoon salt, the pepper, and nutmeg.
Add the cooked macaroni and lobster and stir well.
Spread the mixture in a buttered pyrex dish.
Sprinkle Panko bread crumbs evenly
Drizzle with melted butter
Bake until the top is lightly golden- about 35 minutes.

Comments

Popular Posts