Beef and Veggie Wrap


This is one dish I didn't even plan to make today. I just opened the fridge and surveyed the contents trying to figure out what to make after a week of fish, pasta, chicken, salad and brown rice. I saw ground beef left over from the kimchi fried rice yesterday for a visiting friend. I can't think of anything else to make that requires vegetables but an Asian inspired wrap- quick and delicious.


I prepared my onion, garlic and water chestnuts (so glad to find a can in the cabinet) while I brown the ground beef in the pan.

I just let the fat render as I brown and break the beef then discarded all the beef fats. Next I added the chopped onion and sautéed until translucent; added soy sauce; followed by the rest of the ingredients: garlic, ginger, hoisin sauce, rice wine vinegar and sesame oil.

I added a little water to add moisture before I added the water chestnuts and the carrots. Gently toss together with a tong or shake the pan and allow the steam to cook the veggies but only for a few minutes. Do not overcook- you don't want a veggie wrap with soggy veggies.

Add the chopped spring onion last and transfer to a serving bowl

You need butter lettuce or Boston Bibb to wrap the veggies but I only have hearts of Romaine which works as well.

The dipping sauce is a combination of rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, garlic-chili paste, sesame oil and chopped spring onion. As you can see, the Romaine lettuce is not as wide so it's more like beef and veggie folds ha ha ha

The taste of course is what makes it. I'll use ground chicken or turkey next time.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts