Crepes with Lemon Verbena Sugar


The inspiration came from Rachel and her crepes with lemon and sugar creation. I just did a little twist and used the lemon verbena sugar I made earlier.


I don't know if you came across an earlier post about my herb planters from Jenn of which lemon verbena is one. After so many months, I finally made use of its fragrant leaves.

It's funny how I smelled the leaves after patting them dry-to find out if they're still lemony after perfuming my hands just from snapping the stems. I was so silly thinking for a moment that all the aroma stuck to my hands and none left on the leaves ha ha ha. Of course it didn't happen. The leaves smell the same so right there and then I knew my sugar will be perfumed beautifully as well. For this, I used about 2 loosely packed cups of lemon verbena leaves plus 3/4 cup granulated sugar. Just pulse in a blender and spread in a plate to dry before storing in an air tight jar.

And I was right! So I made some crepes to find out if it's going to work. I used my regular crepe recipe which goes:

Crêpe Batter

Ingredients:
2 extra large eggs
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1 cup flour
3 tablespoons melted butter
Butter, for coating the pan

Directions:
In a blender, combine all of the ingredients and pulse for 10 seconds.
Refrigerate the batter for an hour before using.

The lemon flavor comes from a squeeze of fresh lemon on the crepes then a sprinkle of the lemon verbena sugar on top and garnished with lime slices as my tribute to St. Patrick :-) It is fresh, lemony, tart and sweet but not too sweet, something out of the Nutella and fruit crepe box and absolutely delicious.

Next stop - Lemon Verbena Granita!

Comments

Popular Posts