Belgian Waffles with Hazelnut Sauce

I'm working on my sherbet project and they're chilling in the freezer right now. I was so focused that I forgot I haven't had breakfast. I'm feeling some Belgian waffles with chocolate sauce and raspberries but I'm not in the mood to grate chocolate to make the sauce. I have an easier way to enjoy some chocolate goodness with my waffles. I saw my hazelnut spread jar and there- problem solved.
This is just a basic waffle recipe so it is the sauce that will carry it to the next level of deliciousness. The hazelnut duo spread is sweet so I have to adjust the sugar in the waffle batter and loosen the spread with milk to make it into a sauce. No biggie there. It's easier than using the double boiler to melt dark chocolate- some days that is no biggie as well but I already decided on the hazelnut sauce ha ha.
Belgian Waffles with Hazelnut Sauce

Ingredients:

For the waffles:
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
a pinch of salt
4 extra large eggs, separated
1/4 cup sugar
1 stick unsalted butter, melted
2 cups 2% fat milk
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

For the sauce:
1/2 cup hazelnut spread
1 cup whole milk

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat waffle maker
Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt-set aside.
In a second bowl, beat together the egg yolks and sugar until sugar dissolves and the eggs turn creamy (pale yellow). Add the melted butter, milk and vanilla & almond extracts- whisk to combine. Add the flour mixture and whisk briefly.
In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff and gently fold into the waffle batter.
Pour just enough batter into the waffle maker to cover the grid. Cook according to waffle maker instructions

For the sauce:
Heat the milk over very low heat in a saucepan. Add hazelnut spread and whisk to dissolve. Keep stirring until it reduces into a thick sauce. Pour over over the waffles and serve. Garnish with mint leaves and your favorite berries (optional)
Enjoy!
It is the perfect waffle treat - light and crispy and the hazelnut sauce is so divine; more hazelnut-y than sweet that I got extra raspberries just to dip into the chocolate hazelnut goodness.

Comments

Popular Posts