Frosted Lane Cake .. at last


I was going to do an update on my last post with pictures of the final frosted product but something's going on with my Blogger. I don't know if it's just me but it's not allowing me certain features.

Anyway, I frosted the cake this morning before I left for work. I noticed that the recipe has an extra 1/3 cup of sugar aside from the 2/3 cup corn syrup. Since I'm making my own syrup, I scrapped the extra sugar so this is how I made it.

Ingredients:

2/3 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup water
2 large egg whites
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp cream of tartar

Method:
Place egg whites and cream of tartar in an electric mixer fitted with whisk attachment
Whip egg whites on medium speed until frothy about 30 seconds then increase to medium high and whisk until soft peaks form
Meanwhile, combine the water and sugar in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil stirring, until the sugar dissolves then boil undisturbed until soft balls form or temperature registers at 240°F.
Remove from heat. With mixer running, slowly pour hot syrup into whites but avoid pouring onto the beaters. Add vanilla and beat until mixture has cooled and is very thick and glossy, 3 to 5 minutes.






Spread on top and sides of the cake.



And then it's tasting time! As you can see, only two layers with a thick filling but with all the wonderful flavors of a southern cake


A big chunk which we shared ... I guess I'd leave the comments to my Quality Control Crew :-)

Comments

Popular Posts