Fresh Tuna Two Ways

 Someone gave me a couple of really thick Ahi tuna steaks and probably a pound or so that's already chopped up for sashimi or poke (pronounced as pou-kay) which is the Hawaiian version of sashimi.  Wasn't I ecstatic coz I love tuna!  I can eat it fried, grilled, baked, adobo-ed and yes- poke or sashimi style!  Look at this huge beauty!  Can you imagine how many dishes you can make out of this enormous fish?  I am just so blessed to have a part of the loot!
So I marinated the steaks in light soy sauce while I work on my Poke which is served as an appetizer.

Maui Ahi Poke
recipe adapted from food.com

Ingredients
2 lbs fresh Ahi tuna
1 small round onion, julienne cut ( Maui Onions preferred but I used purple onion)
3 green onions, diced
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated fresh ginger
3 finely diced garlic cloves
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon Chinese chili sauce ( Rooster Brand)
1 teaspoon Hawaiian sea salt or 1 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions
Cut Ahi into at least 1/2" cubes - set aside & refrigerate. (So happy I got it all cubed and ready to go)
Combine all other ingredients in a large glass bowl & refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
When ready to serve toss Ahi and other ingredients together.
Serve on chilled platter with chopsticks or toothpicks.

Note:  I chopped up a couple of tomatoes for a more colorful presentation and for flavor enhancement. 
Ahh it just melts in my mouth.

For the steaks, I heated olive oil in a cast iron pan, seasoned it with freshly cracked black pepper and  some kosher salt.  Then I just pan fried them at 6 minutes on each side because they are super thick. 
I added some scallions and sliced tomatoes so that the juice of the tomatoes mingled with the spices and natural juices of the fish.  I can eat this everyday!
The seasoning came from the light soy sauce I used for the quick marinade and the salt and pepper sprinkled to the olive oil.  The rest is all natural fresh delicious taste of tuna.

Comments

Popular Posts