Grilled Salmon Teriyaki

When it comes to teriyaki sauce, I prefer making my own.  I have all the ingredients in my pantry to make it which is so easy anyway.  And to top it off, there's that luxury to whip it according to my taste.  Today, I prepared salmon teriyaki which I grilled in my stove top.  The marinade is the same one I used for my Chicken Teriyaki from an earlier post. But since the salmon is grilled, I simmered the marinade until it reduced to half and then I used it as glaze.  I don't like my salmon swimming in the sauce- just super moist and then a couple of drops on my white rice. So delicious!  I just realized how much I missed grilled salmon!
This is how I made it:

Grilled Salmon Teriyaki

Ingredients:
1 lb salmon fillet cut in two
1 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup mirin
3 tbsp sake
1 medium shallot, chopped
fresh ginger, sliced thinly
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tbsp chili flakes
1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
1 tbsp brown sugar or honey (or agave nectar)

For garnish:
2 tbsp chopped scallions
1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds

Directions:
Whisk together soy sauce, mirin, sake, shallot, ginger, garlic, chili flakes, black pepper and brown sugar in a bowl.
Marinate the salmon pieces for 30-45 minutes- make sure each piece is covered with the marinade or you may want to flip the pieces for even coating
Heat oiled grill pan on high to have a nice sear and crust
Grill each side for 4 minutes then transfer to a platter
Meanwhile, simmer marinade in a sauce pan until it thickens to a desired consistency
You now have your teriyaki sauce and you can either pour it over the grilled salmon or just use some for glaze like I do and just drizzle some to your steamed rice.
Garnish with chopped scallions and toasted sesame seeds
You can store the left over sauce in the fridge in a lidded container. 


Comments

Popular Posts