Orange Curd

I planned on making lemon curd for my Madeleines but I got sidetracked when I saw Amy's post and was smitten.  I haven't made orange curd although I remember planning on it when I saw Mario Batali and Rachael Ray made their trifle in Battle Cranberry in a special Iron Chef episode.  Sad that I never got the chance to make it as my interest was diverted into so many other things.  But Amy's pictures are so awesome that I literally drooled and wanted to make it right away and I did.  I just followed her list of ingredients and made it the way I make my lemon curd.  It is so delicious and really had to stop myself from stealing spoonful after spoonful from the container.  Now I have to put aside my Madeleines and make a trifle instead.  Stay tuned for more.

Meanwhile, here's how I made this yummylicious curd.
Orange Curd
Adapted in part from Amy's

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon orange zest
1/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
2 teaspoons lemon zest
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup sugar
8 egg yolks
a pinch of kosher salt
1 stick unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces

a tiny drop of red vegetable food color to give it the orange color

Directions:
Beat the egg yolks until well blended and lemon yellow in color. Strain the egg yolks through a sieve into a medium-size heavy saucepan to remove shells or albumen
Add the sugar, kosher salt and the orange and lemon juices
Stir to combine, and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for about 10-15 minutes or until the mixture coats the back of a wooden spoon. 
Remove from heat and immediately pour through another sieve to catch any lumps or egg that curdled
Add in the orange zest and stir
Transfer into a bowl and in the cold butter one piece at a time
Cover with a cling wrap and refrigerate for two hours or so or until set
Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Thanks for trying the recipe and I appreciate that you link back to my post. :) Your orange curd came out to beautiful! I love the rose you made with the peel, so artistic. I know, it's so delicious I have to refrain myself from eating the whole batch straight from the jar with a spoon! :P Take care and have a wonderful rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I had to add a tiny drop of red vegetable food color to give it that orange color coz' it came out yellow like lemon but the taste is definitely orange. I actually had something planned to make during the weekend but you're pictures are just so vivid I could almost taste the curd. I think I will invest in a bread machine so I can try your bread recipe as well. And thanks for dropping by :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts