Passion Fruit Panna Cotta with Mango Coulis

This is a late post but I have to keep the draft date because I feel I have to.  I made it for someone really special for her birthday (May 9), along with a chiffon cake which she loves.  I prepared all her treats early because she's off on the actual day and we're doing an early celebration. 

I am so into passion fruit although I have to settle for the frozen pulp because the fruit itself is difficult to find here.  You can’t go wrong with Goya when it comes to product quality and I'm just so thankful I found this at the frozen fruit section at Vons.  Minus the seeds to give that passion fruit look, but the aroma and the wonderful tartness more than make up for its absence.  I hope to make other things with this bag of deliciousness this season.  
I skipped the usual step by step pictorial because of time constraints.  I still have the chiffon cake to attend to which is kind of labor-intensive with the custard filling; prepping the mixed fruits and the frosting.  Here's how I made the panna cotta. 
Passion Fruit Panna Cotta with Mango Coulis 
Ingredients:
2 ½ cups heavy cream
¾ cup whole milk
1 cup sugar
2 packets Knox gelatin powder
6 tbsp cold water
¾ cup passion fruit puree (I used the frozen pulp so just thaw and stir)
Method:
Heat cream with sugar in a medium sauce pan until sugar fully dissolves.   
Sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water in a medium-sized bowl and let stand 5 to 10 minutes.
Add gelatin to heated cream.
Stir to dissolve gelatin.
Add milk and passion fruit puree.
Fill ramekins with the mixture.
Chill. Once set, run a sharp knife around the edges to release the panna cotta.
Transfer to a serving dish by inverting the panna cotta
Serve with mango coulis
Enjoy! 
Note:  I doubled the recipe to yield more panna cottas
For the Mango Coulis

Ingredients:
2 ripe Manila mangoes
2 tbsp sugar

Procedure:
Slice mangoes. Scoop flesh off skin and scrape remaining flesh from pit.
Puree mango flesh with sugar in blender for about 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and chill in the refrigerator


Note:  I did not add lemon juice to the coulis- I find it unnecessary because I just want to add sweetness to the panna cotta to complement the tartness of passion fruit.

Comments

Popular Posts